About our School...
We are a 2 form entry Infants School and Pre-School unit and cater for children between the ages of 2½ and 7.
Take a look at our latest Ofsted report
A History Lesson...
In 1820 an application was made to the National Society for a grant to build a school in Fetcham. The capacity would be 40 boys and 40 girls to be taught free, if circumstances prevented parents from paying a small contribution. The syllabus included instruction in the Liturgy and Catechism, and attendance at church was expected on Sundays...
The original day school was situated in The Street, near where the present building stands... The period from 1850 to 1880 was most active in the building of elementary schools. The government, under pressure, had voted £20,000, a lot of money in those days, for the erection of schools in rural areas.
In 1854 a parcel of land was donated by the Hankey family to the Rector and churchwardens of Fetcham for this purpose. It was to be a purely Church of England School, not under the care of the National Society. Alongside the school was the headmaster's house, rent free and furnished; it comprised two living rooms and two bedrooms, all in a Tudor Gothic style, built of brick with a slate roof. When the school opened in 1854, there were 61 children on the register paying a penny a week per child. The accommodation in the schoolroom was cramped even though it complied with the national criteria of 10 sq. ft. per child. In 1872 an Inspector's report recommended a 'gallery for infants' as the school was contained in one large room. A repeat observation in 1874 resulted in the addition of the infants' room during the following year... In 1886 the school was again enlarged with separate entrances for boys and girls.
The 1902 Act made Local Education Authorities responsible for secular instruction and denominational schools were now eligible to receive aid from the rates, but the fabric of the school was still the responsibility of the church. Further additions were made to the building, and, at this stage, it was decided to apply to the National Society for a grant. No other alterations were made until 1936 when it became necessary to accommodate 194 pupils - an enormous expansion on the low figure of 66 in 1932. This surge was due to the start of further residential development in the village.
Additional buildings on the School Lane site in 1936 provided four spacious classrooms, a staff common room, a head teacher's office and a school office.
Accommodation in November 1957 comprised: 5 classrooms (1936); 2 prefabricated single storey classrooms (1954); 1 temporary classroom in the playground (1956); and the use of the village hall for two classes... The toilet facilities at the school - across an exposed playground - had, for a long time, been unacceptable so the need for provision of meals in the school premises and improved toilet facilities became the basis for the building of a new servery, hall and classroom which had been promised in 1957. They were not achieved for another 25 years as the new hall and servery was finally obtained and opened for use in 1982.
Extracts from"History of Fetcham" edited by J.C. Stuttard, publ. Leatherhead and District Local History Society (1998)
To bring the story up to date, the original school building now houses one of the reception classes. The two prefabricated classes are the home of Fetcham Village Pre-school, with whom the school enjoys a close relationship, and the "temporary" classroom in the playground, dating from 1956, is still in use by one of the Year 1 classes.
Additional extensions in 1999 and 2001 have added additional library space, a secure entrance next to the new school office and a group teaching room.
A further extension in 2008 has added extra space to the front of the school, providing a larger library and an additional group room. We have completely refurbished the library, with lots of help from The Friends, bringing it up-to-date with new furniture, new books and a computerised library management system. The new extension even has its own "Well". During the building works and preparation of the foundation - we discovered a well thought to be from the early 1900's. We have preserved the feature and created a glass cover for safety and to allow the well to be viewed and maintained.
The school welcomes visitors, so if you would like to come and look round this historic building, please ring for an appointment.